It is recommended that you leave only minimum furnishings, and these should be of reasonable quality. It is preferable that items to be left are in the property during any viewings.


Flood risk areas cause major problems for insurers because of the size of any claim made. Flood claims should not be confused with burst pipes or any other escape of water within the Home. The accepted norm for flood claims is once every 200 years. For high risk areas the ratio is once every 100 years, and for those areas that carry the greatest risks, once every 50 years. An insurer might ask for a higher excess for any flood claim for a property situated in a high risk area. You can check out possible flooding problems at www.environment-agency.gov.uk/

Fire (Consumer Protection)

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989 & 1993) provide that specified items supplied in the course of letting property must meet minimum fire resistance standards. The regulations apply to all upholstered furniture, beds, headboards and mattresses, sofa-beds, futons and other convertibles, nursery furniture, garden furniture suitable for use in a dwelling, scatter cushions, pillows and non-original covers for furniture. They do not apply to antique furniture or furniture made before 1950, bedcovers including duvets, loose covers for mattresses, pillowcases, curtains, carpets or sleeping bags. Items which comply will have a suitable permanent label attached. Non-compliant items must be removed before a tenancy commences.


The Financial Conduct Authority are an independent body that regulates the financial services industry in the UK. You can check out who is, or is not registered, by visiting their site www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/register/