Motorised Vehicles

Motorised vehicles are specifically excluded but the definition does not exclude vehicles used only as domestic gardening equipment within the boundaries of the land belonging to Your Home.


If your property is mortgaged, and if you have not already done so, you should obtain your mortgagee’s written consent to any letting. If you have a specific Buy-to-Let mortgage they will already be fully aware of your intentions, but you should still let them know if the status of your tenants changed as opposed to what was originally agreed to. Any mortgagee will also require their financial interest to be noted under any buildings insurance and will insist that your sum insured be as stipulated on any building surveyor’s report and be indexed linked.

Minimum Security

If because of the area in which the property is situated or say because of a previous theft claim an insurer when being asked to insure contents, requests that the property be fitted with minimum security, the following level of security would be required, before theft cover could be granted. Either of the following to the main entrance door: a lock approved to BS3621 or a mortice deadlock of at least 5 levers or a rim automatic deadlatch with a key-locking handle on the inside or a key-operated multi-point locking system with at least three fixing points and a lock cylinder with at least five pins to the main entrance door Other external doors: key-operated security devices top and bottom in addition to existing locks or a lock to the standard as specified for the main entrance door; except sliding patio doors for sliding patio doors, a key-operated patio door lock mounted internally on the centre rail(s) or protection to the standard as specified for other external doors above To all opening windows and skylights on the ground floor and those which are accessible on other floors: key-operated security devices All fitted security devices would have to be put into operation and all keys removed from locks and placed out of sight whenever the private dwelling was left unattended. All external accessible windows skylights as described above and all external doors would have to be secured as above when the household had retired for the night, except windows in occupied bedrooms which could be left open for ventilation. You would have to get your insurers written agreement if you wanted them to accept alternative security devices.