Sums Insured (Buildings and/or Contents)

It is your responsibility to make sure that the amount you insure for represents the full cost of reinstating the property concerned. How much to insure for: For Buildings, this means the full cost of rebuilding the property including any outbuildings, plus an amount for extra charges that could be involved in rebuilding such as demolition costs, architects’ and surveyors’ fees and meeting the requirements of local authorities.

Subsidence – What is subsidence?

Subsidence is the downward movement of the ground supporting the building. Particular problems arise when the movement varies from one part of the building to another. It can be caused by: Certain soils – Clay soils are particularly vulnerable to subsidence since they shrink and swell depending on their moisture content. Vegetation – Trees and shrubs take moisture from soils causing them to shrink. This is especially so during long periods of dry weather as roots extend in search of water. Leaking Drains – Damaged drains can soften or wash away the ground beneath the foundations of a building. Less commonly, problems may occur where properties are built over, or close to, mine workings. Subsidence damage to walls, gates, fences, patios, drives and swimming pools is not covered unless the Home is damaged at the same time and by the same cause.

Standard Insurance Cover

Includes in addition to the standard Perils cover for the following:- Under the Buildings section: Loss of Rent as a result of an insured peril Accidental Damage to underground services Accidental Damage to fixed glass and sanitary fittings Your liability to the public as owner of the Buildings Full Accidental Damage to the Buildings (optional cover extension) Under the Contents section: Contents temporarily removed from the Home Accidental Damage to televisions, video players, aerials, dishes and CCTV cameras fixed to the Home Accidental Damage to mirrors, glass tops and fixed glass in furniture, cookers and ceramic hobsContents in the open with the property boundary (Limits and Exclusions apply) Replacement of external door locks following loss of keys Accidental Loss of domestic heating fuel and metered water (Limit applies) Loss of Rent as a result of an insured peril Your liability to the public as owner of the Contents and in respect of the employment of domestic staff Full Accidental Damage to the Contents (optional cover extension).

Smoke Alarms

All properties built since June 1992 must have been fitted with mains powered smoke detector alarms from new. Although there is no legislation requiring smoke alarms to be fitted in other ordinary tenanted properties, it is generally considered that the common law ‘duty of care’ means that Landlords and their Agents could be liable should a fire cause injury or damage in a tenanted property where smoke alarms are not fitted. It is therefore strongly recommended that any Landlord fits at least one alarm on each floor (in the hall and landing areas).