Office Insurance – A Guide to Cover for Business Owners

Office Insurance

Office insurance is an essential policy that should be taken out by businesses of all sizes, as it can provide cover for your equipment, employees, members of the public and much more. Horner Blakey can help you find the right level of insurance for your business, whether you run it alone or employ dozens of staff.

Horner Blakey

Insurance Brokers

What is office insurance?

As expert insurance brokers in London, we can support you with office insurance. Our second location in Billericay allows you to be supported by our local insurance brokers in Essex.

Office insurance can be used to protect your business against a variety of unexpected events and incidents that could affect your place of work.  Depending on your business activities and the type of offices you use, this could include covering equipment stored and used at your premises against damage, theft, fire and flooding, as well as protecting your business against legal claims made by the public or your employees.

workers in an office

Do I need office insurance?

If you run a business that operates from a commercial property, then it is worth giving serious consideration to taking out office insurance. This is especially true if you rent your office space, because as a tenant you have less protection in place.

Whether it’s a break-in and theft or an office fire or employee injury, anything can happen in an office, and it pays to be in a position where you have strong financial cover. You’ll also want to ensure that your equipment is covered so you have more peace of mind if you are unexpectedly faced with high repair or legal fees, putting you in a much better position to pay for them.

No two offices are alike, so you need to ensure your office insurance policy reflects the risks that are specific to your business. Because of this, Horner Blakey takes the time to understand your circumstances to match you with the right insurer who can take care of needs for the long-term.

What does office insurance cover?

Office insurance can be used to protect against a wide range of risks, so policy types will vary depending on your needs. Some of the most common features include:

Public liability insurance

Provides cover for loss, damage or injury to a third party on your premises, helping to pay for compensation payouts and legal defence costs.

Employer’s liability insurance

Minimum legal requirement stands at £5 million, and it provides compensation cover if an employee falls in or is injured as a result of the work they do for you.

Office buildings insurance

This is for office building owners who want a complete business insurance package. However, if as a tenant you make any permanent changes to the building, you will need to take out tenant’s improvement insurance.

Do I need office insurance if I run my business from home?

You may need to take out additional cover if you run your business from home. This is because standard home insurance may not provide sufficient cover for any equipment or stock you keep there. And if there is an accident involving a customer or colleague then standard home insurance won’t provide the cover you need.

Horner Blakey can discuss your circumstances at length to help you decide the level of financial cover you need. So, whether you run a business from home or on commercial premises you’ll have everything you need to ensure you do not invalidate your policy.

The cost of office insurance

At Horner Blakey we understand that cost is important to your business, but it is crucial to ensure that you are properly protected in line with the risks your business faces. With that in mind, we will take the time to understand the specific needs of your business and recommend the amount of cover that is best suited to you.

What else do I need to know about office insurance?

An office insurance policy can also provide cover for accidental damage (for example to signage or glass), the personal property of employees or visitors to your premises, and any portable equipment that is taken away from the office such as laptops, cameras, tablets or mobile phones.

In addition, if you are a contractor or freelancer who works in a shared office/hot desk space, then you should check whether your personal possessions will be covered under the landlord/building owner’s buildings and contents insurance or public liability insurance.

How can I get office insurance?

Horner Blakey have a team of specialist advisers ready to help you get the right protection in place for your business.  

We will take the time to understand the specific needs of your business and are committed to delivering a completely personalised service, ensuring that you have the best possible cover at the best possible price.

To find out how much peace of mind costs, contact Nick Horner & Jason Ellis by calling: 020 7929 0108.