Home Standard Insurance | Enquire About Home Insurance

Home Insurance

At Horner Blakey we understand how financially important your home is to you, and that it is vital to ensure that it’s protected against a range of risks such as damage due to fire or theft. 

If you would like to learn how a home (standard) insurance policy could protect your house or flat, read on to find out how Horner Blakey could help.

Horner Blakey

Insurance Brokers

What is home (standard) insurance?

As leading insurance Brokers in London, we can support you with your Home Insurance. Our second location in Billericay allows you to be supported by our local insurance brokers in Essex.

Home insurance is also known as home and contents insurance, property insurance or house insurance, and it will help to ensure that your property has the protection that it deserves and is covered against a range of risks. For example, it will cover the structure and the items you own (the contents) from things like burst pipes, floods, fire, theft, storms and subsidence. In addition, the cost of damage caused by accidents, as well as personal liability claims and home emergencies can also be covered.

houses in a street

What home (standard) insurance covers

There are several different types of household insurance cover that you should consider for your property. These include:

  • Buildings insurance: In the event that your home is damaged or destroyed, this will cover the cost of rebuilding or repairing its structure. With that in mind, it is important to make sure that you should insure your home for the total cost of rebuilding it from scratch, in case the worst should happen. In addition, buildings insurance will also cover permanent fixtures and fittings such as walls, roofs, fitted kitchens and flooring.
  • Replacement locks cover: If your keys are lost or stolen and you need to replace the locks of your property, this will cover the cost and help to ensure that your security isn’t compromised.
  • Trace and access: If you need to locate and isolate the source of a leaking water, gas, or oil pipe, this will cover the cost.
  • Contents insurance: If your belongings were accidentally damaged or stolen, would you be able to foot the bill without having specialist contents insurance in place? This type of policy will cover the non-permanent fixtures in your property such as furniture, rugs, curtains, technology and your personal belongings up to a single item limit, ensuring they are protected if the unexpected should happen. When considering the amount of cover that you need for the contents of your property, it’s important to think about the total cost to reinstate or replace your contents on an equal basis in the event of any potential loss. Remember, if the worst were to happen and you have under-insured, you could be left out of pocket.


These are just examples of some of the home insurance policies that we look after at Horner Blakey. As we know that no individuals are the same, speak to us today to find out which policies will best meet your needs.

Do I need home (standard) insurance?

If you own a property, home insurance could provide you with the financial cover that you need in the event that things go wrong. In the event that a claim is made against you or your property, it will protect you from financial liabilities. 

If you rent your property, then buildings insurance will be the responsibility of your landlord, but it might still be a good idea to take out a contents insurance policy to ensure your belongings are protected.

The cost of home (standard) insurance

A home and contents insurance policy may cost much less than you may think, and the premium you pay will depend on several factors. These include the size of your property, the level of cover that you need and the amount of cover that you will need to take out. You may also choose to pay for extra cover, which will have an additional cost. For example:


  • Accidental damage cover: This will provide cover in the event that an accident causes damage to one of your belongings, for example dropping  a laptop or spilling a glass of red wine on your rug.


  • Alternative accommodation cover: If your home is made uninhabitable due to an insured event, such as a fire, storm or flood, or it loses heating or electricity, this will cover the reasonable costs for emergency accommodation.


  • Bicycle cover: If your home insurance policy doesn’t cover bicycles as standard, this will cover theft and damage, and you may also choose to pay extra to cover you away from home too. 
  • Cover away from home: This will provide cover if you take any of your possessions away from home.
  • Home emergency cover: In the event that there is an electrical failure to your home, your boiler breaks down or a drain gets blocked, this will provide cover. 
  • Legal protection: If a claim is made against you, this would provide cover for your legal costs.


In addition, it’s also important to note that if your property is a listed building, it may be more expensive to insure due to the special materials and craftsmanship that could be needed to make any repairs.


At Horner Blakey we understand that cost is important to you, but it is crucial to ensure that you are properly protected. With that in mind, we will take the time to understand your specific needs and recommend the amount of cover that is best suited to you.

What else do I need to know about home (standard) insurance?

Some mortgage providers will specify that you need to have a home insurance policy in place from the moment you exchange contracts on your home, which is something important to be aware of.

How can I get home (standard) insurance?

Horner Blakey have a team of specialist advisers ready to help you get the right protection in place for your property.  

We will take the time to understand your specific needs and are committed to delivering a completely personalised service, ensuring that you have the best possible cover at the best possible price.

To find out how much peace of mind costs, contact Nick Horner & Jason Ellis by calling: 020 7929 0108.