Flood Insurance - Horner Blakey

Flood Insurance

The threat of flooding is already a huge concern for millions of homeowners in the UK and with climate change set to increase rainfall levels, it will eventually affect millions more. One of the best ways to protect your home from floods caused by natural causes is to take out flood insurance, which offers cover for your property and its contents.

Horner Blakey

Insurance Brokers

What is flood insurance?

Flood insurance can provide cover for properties that have experienced a flood, helping to pay for the damage and repair costs that are needed as a result. The policy provides protection against flooding caused by a river, stream, lake or tidal waters, rather than a burst pipe inside or outside the home. It is usually included as standard in most insurance policies, although some insurers only provide cover for groundwater flooding.

Houses submerged during a flood

Do I need flood insurance?


he Environment Agency estimates that more than 5 million homes are at risk from flooding, and if you live close by to a canal or river, or experience rainfall or bad storms or unusually high tides that cause seawater to enter your home, then you could benefit from taking out flood insurance.

Even if you don’t live near a source of water, unexpected incidents such as heavy rainfall can still occur. This is another concern for the Environment Agency, who predict that winter rainfall will rise significantly in the coming years due to ongoing climate change.

Horner Blakey are expert insurance brokers who can help you look at your options in more detail, making it easier to build the right policy for your home and family.

Whatever you decide, before proceeding with any insurance agreement, always read the full details of your individual policy as terms and conditions will apply.

What does flood insurance cover?

If your home is flooded due to natural causes it can provide protection for:

Buildings insurance

This comes with most standard buildings insurance policies and can be used to pay for flooding costs related to drying out your home, removing debris, rebuilding/legal costs and restoration.

Contents insurance

Standard home insurance typically includes this flood insurance, protecting items such as TVs and computers, furniture, sofas and carpets, valuable items (up to a certain value) and other personal items.

Can I get flood insurance if I live in a high-risk area?

Traditionally, anyone who has been flooded in the past, or that lives in a high-risk flood area may have found it difficult to secure the right level of insurance.

Many people can still secure home insurance even if they live in a high-risk area through the government-backed Flood Re reinsurance scheme. It was introduced as a response to the rising threat of floods in many parts of the UK, offering people protection they may have previously struggled to get.

With Flood Re you buy your home insurance as normal and claim in the usual way. Insurers that are part of the scheme all contribute to a pool of money that can then be accessed and used to cover part of your policy if risk levels are above normal. The current plan is to close Flood RE in 2039, although it should continue in some other form beyond that date.

Horner Blakey will work with you to see what insurance options are available for your home based on your location, which could help you find the level of protection you need.