The Ultimate Guide To Yacht/Boat Insurance

Yacht/Boat Insurance

If you own a yacht or small boat, it pays to have the right level of insurance cover to keep one of your most valuable assets protected against a variety of risks. Whether you use it regularly or keep it moored for most of the year, Horner Blakey can help you find the right policy and provider for your yacht.

Insurance for Yachts and Small Boats

Having the right level of boat insurance cover is crucial to enjoying your time on the water in confidence. Whether you are looking to insure a dinghy or a superyacht we can help you.

Horner Blakey

Insurance Brokers

What Types of Yachts Can Horner Blakey Arrange Insurance For?

  • Sailing yacht insurance
  • Motor yacht insurance
  • Speed boat
  • RIBS
  • Narrow boat
  • What covers are available?
  • Personal accident cover
  • Cover in transit and in storage
  • Cover for equipment

What is yacht insurance?

Yacht insurance provides cover for yachts and small boats, giving you more safety and reassurance when you are out on the water. It offers protection for you and your craft, your passengers and other craft you could come into contact with. Whether it’s damage to your boat or another craft, or if you or one of your passengers are injured while using your boat, yacht insurance could put you back in the financial position you were in before the incident occurred.

Do I need yacht insurance?

Yacht insurance is not strictly a legal requirement. However, you may find that a marina requires you to have a minimum level of third-party cover before you can dock and use their facilities.

  • Horner Blakey can provide yacht insurance cover for:
  • Sailing yachts
  • Motor yachts
  • Speed boats
  • Landing Rigid Inflatable Boats (RIBs)
  • Dinghies
  • Narrow boats

Yachts are a high value item and require a considerable investment, so it makes sense to protect such an important asset. And while being on the water offers a wonderful escape from land, there are also a variety of hazards and issues that can arise out of the blue and having the right insurance in place can give you far more peace of mind.

Whatever you decide, before proceeding with any insurance broker, always read the full details of your individual policy as terms and conditions will apply.

What does yacht insurance cover?

Yacht insurance can be used to provide comprehensive cover for you, your boat, your passengers and third parties you could come into contact with:

Personal accident insurance

If you or one of your crew or passengers are injured or fatally wounded as a result of an accident, this insurance can provide cover for emergency medical expenses.

Transit and storage insurance

Your yacht can have cover against fire, theft, or malicious damage caused while it is in use or laid up and in storage. [GS1]

Equipment insurance

Equipment such the sails, hull, furnishings, machinery and equipment on-board can all be covered under this type of insurance.

How much does yacht insurance cost?

As with other types of marine insurance, the cost of yacht insurance is influenced by a range of factors. This includes the type of boat you own, its size, how it is used, where it is used and moored, your sailing experience and your claims history and more.

You could potentially reduce your yacht insurance premiums by taking a course to become a yacht master, skipper or helmsman. How you moor your yacht or small boat can also influence costs, as keeping the craft in a marina berth could make you eligible for a discount.

Horner Blakey can help you find the right level of cover for your yacht or small boat based on the needs of your craft and budget, giving you more confidence when it’s in use or moored for the season.

How can I get boat insurance?

Horner Blakey have a team of specialist advisers ready to help you get the right protection in place for your boat.

We will take the time to understand your specific needs and are committed to delivering a personalised service, ensuring that you have the best possible cover at the best possible price.

To find out how much peace of mind costs, contact Nick Horner & Jason Ellis by calling: 020 7929 0108